This was a very fun class where everyone got really hands-on. This dish is easy for all cooks and my teenagers just love it!
Caesar Salad with Chicken and Homemade Croutons
- 1.5 cups of Italian bread, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 chicken breasts with skin and on the bone
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ clove garlic, grated on a Microplane
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk (use fresh eggs or omit)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 small heads of romaine lettuce, washed and torn or cut into large piece
- To prepare croutons, place bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven until just golden. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare chicken, preheat oven to 425. Line rimmed backing sheet with foil. Salt and pepper chicken breasts and rub with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes, or until digital thermometer registers 150 degrees. Let meat rest at least 15 minutes before removing skin and bones. Shred into bite size pieces.
- To prepare dressing, place garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, lemon juice and egg yolk in a large bowl. Whisk well. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon freshly grounded black pepper. Drizzle and whisk in about ½ cup of olive oil. Add in parmigiano-reggiano and set aside.
- Add romaine lettuce and croutons to the dressing. Mix well. Serve plates and top with chicken. Serve with more parmigianno-reggiano and freshly ground pepper. Serves 4